Call for Industry Track Proposals (Closed)
- David Carmel (IBM Research, Haifa, Israel)
- Haifeng Wang (Baidu, China)
This year’s SIGIR conference will include an Industry Track, to be held on Wednesday, 27th July, 2011, during the regular conference program, and in parallel with the technical tracks.
The Industry Track's objectives are twofold. The first objective is presenting the state-of-the-art in search, delivered as keynote talks by influential technical leaders from the search industry. Keynotess confirmed so far include:
- Ruoxue Liao - Senior architect & chair of technical committee, Baidu, China
- Edward Chang - Director of Research, Google, China
- Abdur Chowdhury - Chief Scientist, Twitter, USA
- Shivakumar Vaithyanathan - Senior Manager, IBM Research , USA
The second objective of the Industry Track is the presentation of interesting, novel and innovative ideas from the search industry. There will be two sessions with three presentations per session. Each of these presentations will be 30 minutes long including Q&A.
Industry authors are invited to prepare proposals for presenting interesting, novel and innovative IR ideas, and submit these by email to the Industrial Track co-chairs by May 2nd, 2011. The proposal should contain:
- Short company portrait (125 words)
- Short CV of the presenter(s) (125 words)
- Title and abstract of the presentation (500 words)
- Reasons why the presentation should be interesting to the SIGIR audience
When submitting a proposal, please bear in mind the following:
- Ensure the presentation is relevant to the SIGIR audience (the Call for Papers gives a good idea of the conference scope);
- Try to highlight interesting R&D challenges in the work you present;
- Please do not present a sales pitch;
- All slides will be made public (no confidential information on the slides; you will be expected to ensure your slides are approved by your company before being presented);
- Presenters may opt to have their presentation videoed and made public, and if so, the presenter will be asked to sign a release form.
We look forward to receiving your submissions by email (see the email addresses below), and welcoming you to the SIGIR 2011 Conference and to the Industry Track.
- 02 May 2011: Industry Track proposals due
- 30 May 2011: Notification of proposal acceptance
- 27 July 2011: Industry Track presentations